[Bioperl-l] Findpatterns

nkuipers nkuipers@uvic.ca
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:04:34 -0800

You might want to check out the EMBOSS suite of tools, there may be some that
suit your needs in there.

I don't know how the bioperl gurus would handle building a list of locations
based on pattern matching.  I had a similar problem and this is what I did:
1)used bioperl's SeqIO module to read sequences from a flat file
-next 2 steps are for increased search speed (19,000 seqs in our db)
2)built a hash of all specified-length sequence wordmers in the database, with
each wordmer acting as a pointer to a list of sequence IDs where they were
found
3)looked at the first wordmer in the query sequence and searched only
sequences listed under that wordmer in the profile
4)worked through each bared sequence in the list with canonical use of the pos
and index functions in a while loop, straight from the Camel 3rd
5)dumped each find to a file

The main speedbump is creating the index of wordmers, once that is done the
search itself is very reasonable. To be honest I feel sort of rustic putting
this on the list; perhaps someone can educate me as to a smoother, less
roll-your-own method using bioperl. :)

Nathanael Kuipers
--
Center for Biomedical Research,