[Bioperl-l] recovering blast query_name

Lewis Lukens llukens@uoguelph.ca
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 15:49:17 -0500

Hello,

Sorry for a basic question... I have been trying to use the
Bio::Tools:Run:RemoteBlast module to blast a single file with many
fasta formated sequences against ncbi nt and parse the blast reports.
Almost everything is working well.  I get all the hit and hsp
features for all the hits.  I can recover the query sequence, but I
can't seem to recover the query sequence names.  How does one do this?

I used almost the exact code as in the Remoteblast Synopsis
http://doc.bioperl.org/releases/bioperl-1.0.2/Bio/Tools/Run/RemoteBlast.html

in this code, this expression works:
print "db is ", $result->database_name(), "\n";

but, these expressions return empty fields:
     my $name = $result->query_name();
     my $desc = $result->query_description();
     my $acc= $result->query_accession();

I have been using SearchIO to parse blast output files and never had
this problem before.  Any ideas?

Thanks much,
Lewis
--