[Bioperl-l] Bio::FeatureHolderI

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:11:59 +0000

I agree with Ewan and Jason that internal filters allow you the efficiency of
implementing the filter in SQL.  I thought of proposing this, but I don't
want to add something this radical to the API just before 1.2.  Another issue
is that if we're going to implement internal filters, then we should do it
right, allowing for filtering by location, feature type, source tag, etc.,
and for arbitrary boolean combinations of these attributes.

Another thought that occurred to me is that it would be very nice to be able
to pass in a subroutine that is simply passed each feature, without the
features being stored in a memory.  This sort of functional programming is
very nice when the features are coming from a SAX-based XML parser, where it
is difficult, if not impossible, to implement a next_feature() style iterator
in the caller.

Lincoln