[Bioperl-l] Re: bioperl FAQ

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 13:35:30 -0400

Hi Peter etc.

As much as I like Wiki it seems that having most of our documentation
(and FAQ) information be included  as static text files in our
distribution is the better way to go given our past history.

We have a far better track record of our developers working on the
CVS-resident codebase than doing anything with the website. We will
probably get much more effort and attention put into the docs and the
FAQs if our developers were able to add/edit/etc files and 'cvs commit'
them back into the project repository. If we require people to do
something on the web then the number of people who contribute will drop
sharply.

Some sort of XML-based FAQ that can easily be transformed into
HTML/text/PDF/etc. etc. seems like the appoach that will work best for
bioperl people.

On a side note I'm working on the next generation website stuff and if
we go ahead with plans to build on top of Zope and CMF then we can
easily Wiki-enable the websites as there are several good quality wiki
implementations that have been done under the Zope/CMF portal framework.

-Chris