[Bioperl-l] BioSVG [ Was ABI file parsing]

Malay boolda@yahoo.com
Wed, 8 May 2002 02:12:23 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Dr Stein:

--- Lincoln Stein <lstein@cshl.org> wrote:
> Is Pastel your work, then?  If not I'll have a look
> at it and see what's
> involved in getting it to output PNG format.

Yep it is my work.

> (minor grouch: it's not much of a output-independent
> API if it only supports
> one output format....)

The graphics primitive and routines are output
independent. But of course Pastel was created from the
ground up to generate vector 2D data for the web.
Right now there are only two such formats. Flash and
SVG. Generating raster is not so difficult as vector
and there are excellent libraries like your own GD and
Imagemagick that can do the job. Any graphics
libraries the basic math and the algorithms are same
(if you just forget about rastering display on
hardware).

But of course right now Pastel is not output format
independent.

Regards,

Malay