[Bioperl-l] 'virtual' seqs

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:40:58 -0400

I think it's important that we be able to perform manipulations on feature
tables and annotations even when the underlying sequence is completely
unavailable (not even a guarantee that you can fetch the sequence if you wait
long enough).  Laziness is a great feature, but it's more of an
implementation issue than something that should be exposed to the API.

As Ewan suggests, it's probably better to return a string of N's rather than
an undef sequence; otherwise lots of programs will break.  However I think
that EmptySequence has the wrong connotation.  I prefer VirtualSequence, or
possibly UnknownSequence.

Lincoln