[Bioperl-l] Call for lightning talks, BoFs at BOSC 2002

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:26:14 -0400 (EDT)

[Apologies for those receiving multiple copies.

These messages posted on behalf of Andrew Dalke who is coordinating BoFs
and Lightning talk schedules]

            Call for Lightning Talks, BOSC 2002
             http://www.open-bio.org/bosc2002/

  * Working on some cool software?

  * Got something you want to tell us about related to open source in
    bioinformatics, and related fields?

  * Looking for people to help with your project?

  * Excited about a chunk of code and think we would (or should!) be too?

  * Don't want to spend the time preparing a long, stuffy, formal talk?

If you answered "YES" to zero or more of these, you should consider
giving a lightning talk at BOSC 2002.

A lightning talk is a short presentation -- there's a hard limit of 5
minutes [*] -- on a topic of your choice, so long as it's somehow related
to BOSC.  They will be in the last timeslot of BOSC, in the afternoon of
August 2 (http://www.open-bio.org/bosc2002/program.html ), and the goal
is to have people leave the conference excited about your work and more
aware of what's going on in the world of open source bioinformatics software.

Mind you though, 5 minutes is only about enough time for 3 or 4 overheads!

If you want to make your voice heard, let us know by sending:
  - your name & contact information (email and affiliation)
  - a talk title
  - a project url, if applicable
  - a short (two line or so) abstract

to bosc@open-bio.org.  If it is code related, remember that we do
prefer an open source license (http://www.opensource.org/ )

[*] We couldn't accept all of the talk proposals so we asked the
submitters if they are interested in a lightning talk as well.
We gave them a bit more than 5 minutes.  Now you know for next year,
if you want more time, submit a talk proposal :)

             Call for Birds of a Feather Sessions, BOSC 2002
    http://www.biopython.org/wiki/html/BioPython/BoscBofs.html

BoFs are informal ways for people interested in a given topic to meet
together, discuss ideas, make plans, and generally do the things that
are so hard to do over email.

We have six scheduled timeslots for BoFs, three each for the two
evenings of BOSC, from 7-8, 8-9, and 9-10.  Based on previous experience,
we will likely have parallel BoFs ... and most people don't want to meet
after 9pm.  There will also be time to even less formal meetings over
meal breaks, if you prefer a PubBoF style instead.

If you want to schedule a meeting or make an annoucement about some other
sort of get-together, send email to me at dalke@dalkescientific.com with
  - the BoF name,
  - a one or two line description of it,
  - the name and email of the person organizing it,
  - preferences for what it should not conflict with
      (For example, Biopython and Bioperl can be scheduled at the same time
       because few are involved in both, while BioSQL will draw developers
       from those two languages but not from, say an "Intro to Bioperl" BoF.)

I'll put all the information together at

  http://www.biopython.org/wiki/html/BioPython/BoscBofs.html

with a tentative schedule after we get enough requests.

These are meant to be informal, and if you want you can make a meeting
annoucement while at BOSC.

					Andrew
					dalke@dalkescientific.com