[Bioperl-l] Urgent Reply. / spam to open-bio lists

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Sat, 01 Jun 2002 10:22:17 -0400

We already pay mail-abuse.org to use both the RBL and RSS blackhole
lists (excellent service BTW). That alone stops 90% of the spam. We
can't stop more than that without having a human look at every message
-- especially the Nigerian scam stuff which is usually sent by hand from
a real email address.

If bioperl people want they can do what biojava-l collectively decided
to do: hold for moderation any messages that are not MIME-encoded as
text/plain.

Blocking all non-plaintext messages (and attachments) stops more spam
but it also tends to  add to the administrative burden of the mailteam
as someone has to look at the messages to decide if they go through. I'm
also the person who usually gets stuck explaining to people why the HTML
email they just sent to the list was held for moderation.

If people on this list wish I can make bioperl-l hold for moderator
attention any messages that are not text/plain. Perhaps it's time we did
this as there are close to ~900 current subscribers.

The ultimate solution of course is to make bioperl-l a 100% moderated
list. That won't happen because we don't have the volunteers to handle
the increased admin duties (plus lots of people oppose moderation on
principal)

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Life Science IT & Research Computing Freelancer