[Bioperl-l] Retrieving sequence from local blast database

Brian Osborne brian_osborne@cognia.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:43:08 -0400

Anthony,

You probably want to use Bio::DB::Fasta, it offers methods like
get_Seq_by_id() to get sequences out of multiple fasta files. This module is
described in bptutorial.pl as well as its cousin, Bio::Index::Fasta. Hint:
"use strict". We ran into some trouble recently using these when we didn't.

Brian O.

-----Original Message-----
From: bioperl-l-admin@bioperl.org [mailto:bioperl-l-admin@bioperl.org]On
Behalf Of AUnderwood@PHLS.org.uk
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 4:26 AM
To: Bioperl-l@bioperl.org
Subject: [Bioperl-l] Retrieving sequence from local blast database

HI all,

Does anyone know if there is a method within bioperl to retieve the sequence
of an entry from a local blast database formatted with the formatdb command.
I have retrieved a hit with the standalone blast method and want to retrieve
all the sequence of the hit. If I use $hit->next_hsp->hit_string then then
sequence retrieved is often not the entire sequence of the hit. Is it
possible to use the accession number retrieved from the hit to retrieve the
sequence from the local databse or just retrieve the entire hit sequence.

Many thanks

Dr Anthony Underwood
Bioinformatics Unit
Central Public Health Laboratory
61 Colindale Avenue
London
NW9 5HT
t:    0208 2004400 ext. 3618
f:    0208 3583138
e: aunderwood@phls.org.uk

The information contained in the EMail and any attachments is confidential
and intended solely and for the attention and use of the named addressee(s).
It may not be disclosed to any other person without the express authority of
the PHLS, or the intended recipient, or both. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or
any part of it.

For information on how to send data to the PHLS in encrypted form via
E.Mail, visit www.phls.org.uk.

This footnote also confirms that this EMail has been swept for computer
viruses, but please re-sweep any attachments before opening or saving.

HTTP://www.phls.org.uk