[Bioperl-l] Clustalw.pm on Windows

Brian Osborne brian_osborne@cognia.com
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 09:19:50 -0400

Oscar,

clustalw.pm works for me on Win 2000 with a recent Cygwin installed
(www.cygwin.com). This may not be the approach you're looking for, but I've
found it very dependable and easy to use, includes gcc, cvs, fileutils, perl
5.6.0, ftp, all sorts of stuff. The Cygwin bash or tcsh windows coexist with
Windows applications and the files sit right there in the Windows
filesystem - no double-boot or partitions. Bioperl installation is as easy
as on Linux (though the mysql compile failed initially, I think I could get
it to work though). For the most part it just "feels" like Unix. HMMER,
clustalw compiles were easy, I installed blastall binaries from NCBI (see
the PLATFORMS file).

Brian O.

-----Original Message-----
From: bioperl-l-admin@bioperl.org [mailto:bioperl-l-admin@bioperl.org]On
Behalf Of Fernandez-Capetillo, Oscar (NCI)
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 7:21 PM
To: 'bioperl-l@bioperl.org'
Subject: [Bioperl-l] Clustalw.pm on Windows

Hi there,

I am just a newbie to all this Bioperl movement that I am founding very
useful. It is translating a lot of my computer time into swiming pool time.
Ok, that just as introduction, now my question.

I will want to use either clustalw.pm or tcoffe.pm modules for some of my
scripts. Unfortunately I am working on windows and this modules only work in
Unix/Linux platforms (because they are implemented making calls to the Unix
Shell). Anybody aware of similar modules that will work in windows? Or has
anybody already changed this modules to work with windows?

Thanks,

Oskar