[Bioperl-l] Refactoring Locations...

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 20:34:49 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Lincoln Stein wrote:

> I'm going to defend my position, but this will be my last word on the subject
> (this isn't worth extended discussion or a flame war).
>
> 0)  Going to space-oriented coordinates makes our code simpler, less buggy,
> and makes it easier to add new modules.
>
> 1) If we keep the API the same, then external applications won't need to know
> we made the change.  The only apps that will break is those that broke
> encapsulation by going directly to the hash.

But then we have a phase change between the interface and the
implementation and that will confuse people ;)

> 2) We have to rewrite BioPerl from the ground up next year in any case in
> order to support perl 6.0.

I think of Perl 6 as a language with many similar features to Perl 5 but
not the same.

Hence there will be a Bioperl-5 series and a Bioperl-6 series

Rule 1: Bioperl-5 and Bioperl-6 should strive to have the same interfaces

But - yes - possible to imagine doing a 0 implementation in there.
Hmmm.... I wonder what the BioJava boys do.

Discussion worth having over a beer at BOSC.