[Bioperl-l] Jason and Ewan's TODO list

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 00:12:20 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Brian Osborne wrote:

> Ewan et al,
>
> >> Proposed 1.0alpha1 with at least top level documentation additions around
> >> Feb 15th (Brian and Peter - can we make this?)
>
> Not wanting to sound "smart" but what do you mean by "top level
> documentation"? At the very top I see Seq, PrimarySeq, SeqIO, and not much
> else. One could argue that Blast, meaning StandAloneBlast and BPlite, is
> somewhere up there but I think that these are well-documented, the trouble
> we get into with Blast is too many modules, not too little documentation.
> Speaking of which, is SearchIO at the very top now? I'd have to profess
> nearly complete ignorance of this one.
>
> Off the top of my head I'd say I could do work on POD-module documentation
> and have something reasonable by the 15th, yes, but you should share your
> views on what's required. There are certainly some interesting modules in
> there that aren't as well documented as they could be, Structure::*, for
> example. There are others. Also, I may have missed this but is the module
> for neophytes, Bioperl.pm, going to be in 1.0?

The main thing is in my view

bptutorial.pl

removing one of bioperl.pod or biostart.pod or whatever it is....

making sure the README points to the right documentation

handling Bio::Seq and Bio::SeqIO.pm to make sure the "first script" moment
is good

looking into Bio::Perl.pm for the true newbie

I know it is a long list, but I think doable in time...