[Bioperl-l] 0.9.3 up --- time for more testing etc.

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:31:09 +0000 (GMT)

The current cvs tree passed my standard set of OS tests so I tagged and
released 0.9.3

You can get it from

   ftp://bio.perl.org/pub/DIST

   bioperl-0.9.3.tar.gz

The next one will be called bioperl-1.0alpha1 to encourage people to think
this is the real thing and try it out/test it etc...

We need --->

   (a) Documentation restructuring/refactoring. Peter and Brian - time to
step up to the challenge I hope... Newbies - now is the time to help Peter
and Brian craft good documentation to help you.

   (b) More testing, in particular backward compatibility tests. If people
have working systems/scripts against 0.7 could you try out running your
script against the 0.9.3 set and report back? You might get some
deprecated calls but it should do its damnest to "just work".

   (c) We need NT and (more) Mac OSX testing

   (d) Eventually a careful review of as many modules as possible for
documentation, synopsis, chaining of verbosity flags etc has to happen. I
suspect the "core" will take on the brunt of this work (Jason, Hilmar,
Heikki --- how ready are you guys feeling for this), but obviously other
volunteers would be great - Kris - up for the challenge? Elia - do you
have free time? Lincoln - would you like to play?

    I don't think that the author of a module should review it, so people
should choose modules away from the ones they have written.

    I am imagining branching in late Jan/Feb and then releasing mid Feb
assumming everything works out well. Do people think this is too fast?
This is remarkably on schedule --- mainly due to the excellent work Jason,
Heikki and SteveC.

   Small changes/additions can still be accepted - I want to have
something ready and in place for the proposed sequence fetching
architecture being talked about at the biohackathon... but nothing major
please!

   Any other thoughts?

Good work guys (and girls).

ewan