[Bioperl-l] Bio::Index::Fasta vs Bio::DB::Fasta

Lincoln Stein lstein@cshl.org
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 18:38:02 -0500

Hi Folks,

I've just recently become aware that Bio::Index::Fasta has very heavy
overlapping functionality with Bio::DB::Fasta, and this is likely to lead to
some user confusion down the road.

I would remove Bio::DB::Fasta in favor of the Bio::Index version, except that
I don't think that Bio::Index::Fasta does the thing that first motivated
Bio::DB::Fasta, which was the ability to retrieve subsequences efficiently.
I have big (tens of megabyte) fasta files that contain
whole C. elegans chromosomes, and want to fetch a few base pairs from the
middle of them without reading the whole record into memory.  Can
Bio::Index::Fasta do this?

Lincoln

lstein@cshl.org			                  Cold Spring Harbor, NY