[Bioperl-l] SearchIO - tiny bug / verbosity inheritance

JDiggans@genelogic.com JDiggans@genelogic.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:09:20 -0500

I've been switching some scripts over to the new SearchIO blast parsers and
I've gotta say the new event-based model is a breeze to work with (and fun
to read through!).

The warning output currently produced by parsing a blast report (bug report
filed) leads to a more general bioperl design question. The initial
SearchIO verbosity state isn't inherited by downstream objects (and there
are plenty). Since BioPerl is moving more and more towards the *IO
parser-swappable design has there been any thought to pass along
$self->verbose() to each new sub-object created by a parent object?
Personally, were I to set verbose to -1 on a SearchIO instance I would
prefer my Results, Hits and HSPs remain quietly dignified.

Does this kind of inheritance make sense?
-j

James Diggans
Bioinformatics Programmer
Gene Logic, Inc.