[Bioperl-l] Re: [Bioperl-guts-l] Notification: incoming/1048

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 07 Jan 2002 15:39:45 +0000

Jack,

The module containing the code for sequence patterns is written by Steve
Chervitz who is almost, but not quite as old, hand in bioinformatis as you.
8-)

Bioperlers,

The use of Z for hydrophilic does not seem to be a bug but a feature. The
logic of the module has not changed for long time. Maybe it is time to
reassess this module. Is anyone on the list using it and is the old usage of
B (hydrophobic aa) and Z (hydrophilic aa) symbols still useful? They are
certainly not commonly used in this meaning.

The SWISS-PROT database contains both B and Z symbols in sequences so one
should be able to use all UIPAC aa codes in pattern. On the other hand,
there are no PROSITE pattern using them, so I am not sure how real this need
is.

Opinions please,

	-Heikki