[Bioperl-l] how not to use Files when file handlers are required

Guoneng Zhong Guoneng.Zhong@med.nyu.edu
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:34:37 -0500

--Apple-Mail-1--685143998

Hi,
I am starting to use Bioperl and I notice that often files are used as
keepers of sequences and reports.  Either a file name is supplied as
input or some file handler is required for input or output.  Case in
point is the following example I copied from the tutorial:

use Bio::Tools::pSW;
   $factory = new Bio::Tools::pSW( '-matrix' => 'blosum62.bla',
                                   '-gap' => 12,
                                   '-ext' => 2, );
   $factory->align_and_show($seq1, $seq2, STDOUT);
   $aln = $factory->pairwise_alignment($seq1, $seq2);

My problem is that I don't work with files very much; I get my sequence
either from someone's website or from a database.  So in the above
example, how would I supply the matrix as a string if I don't have a
file?  Do I have to write the string to a file first and then tell it?
Same for the STDOUT; what if I want to use a String instead?  I come
from a java background, and it has a String IO Stream reader/writer.  I
wonder in Perl there is something like that or if Bioperl accommodates
for this.

Thanks,
Guoneng

--Apple-Mail-1--685143998

Hi,

I am starting to use Bioperl and I notice that often files are used as
keepers of sequences and reports.  Either a file name is supplied as
input or some file handler is required for input or output.  Case in
point is the following example I copied from the tutorial:

  $factory = new Bio::Tools::pSW( '-matrix' => 'blosum62.bla',

                                  '-gap' => 12,

  $factory->align_and_show($seq1, $seq2, STDOUT);

  $aln = $factory->pairwise_alignment($seq1, $seq2);</fontfamily></fixed>