[Bioperl-l] spam, viral email & info needed for the next Open Bio Foundation newsletter

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:11:39 -0500

Hi folks,

Sorry for the mass cross-post. I've got a few quick things to mention:

(1) The quality of our mailing lists has been degraded both by more
instances of spam getting through our filters and the ocasional viral
payload sent by Outlook users.

The spam problem has been addressed- We have finally faxed in all of the
paperwork necessary (11 pages!) for the O|B|F to become a subscriber to
the combined RBL/RSS/DUL blackhole databases maintained by the folks at
mail-abuse.net. People interested in what RBL+ is should visit this URL:
http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl+/

We are going to refuse inbound email from (a) known spammers and spam
friendly networks, (b) known open relays and (c) IP addresses blocks
used by ISP dialup customers. Once MAPS processes our info and allows
our mail server to query the service I think that 99% of the spam will
go away. This was the case back when the RBL service was free and we
used it all the time.

The virus problem is going to take longer to fix. Because we are going
to transition from Linux-on-Alpha to Sun Solaris systems we are going to
delay the process of purchasing or downloading antivirus scanners that
hook into sendmail until we are up and running on the new boxes.

Ok. Enough talk about bad stuff...on to the good stuff...

**
It's time for another Open Bioinformatics Foundation Newsletter
**

The first one we wrote back in October was very well recieved and it is
past time to put out a new issue. I'm soliciting information from the
various project heads-- write up anything you want about your project
and get it to me within a week or so for inclusion.

As an example of what we are trying to do, see the 1st newsletter online
at
http://open-bio.org/pipermail/open-bioinformatics-foundation/2001-October/000001.html

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
Life Science IT & Research Computing Freelancer