[Bioperl-l] Genetic Analysis Modules

Steve Mathias smathias1@qwest.net
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 11:28:46 -0700

Hello Bioperlers,

I've noted several postings on the list over the last few months on genetic
maps, pedigrees, populations, genotypes, phenotypes, etc. - basically, things
I consider to fall into the realm of genetic analysis.  So I thought it might
be of interest to some in the group to know that I have written a series of
modules related to genetic analysis.  The distribution of Genetics modules,
aka GenPerl, is available in the CPAN directory SLMATH, or you can find it by
doing a CPAN search on 'Genetics'.

There's some documentation with the distribution outlining the functionality
and how to use it.  Briefly there are a series of Perl classes implementing a
full genetic analysis object model.  Then there are a set of modules
implementing an API for managing persistence of the data in a relational
database (currently only MySQL is supported), and for performing analysis on
genotype/phenotype data.  The former is basically a wrapper around DBI.  The
latter includes functionality for writing linkage format files and running
linkage analysis software (E.g. Genehunter).  There is some other analysis
functionality, but it is mostly just stuff that I've played around with at
one time or another.

The Genetics modules are not structured in a very "bioperl" way.  However, if
there is interest in including this kind of functionality in bioperl, I'd be
willing to volunteer to do this.  If so, I'd be interested in hearing
comments on where/how you all think it would be best to do this.  Obviously,
this would be a post 1.0 thing, but let me know what you think.

	-Steve
--
Stephen L. Mathias
smathias1@qwest.net