[Bioperl-l] Bptutorial.pl

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 15:50:46 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Peter Schattner wrote:

> I dunno, Jason. The bptuorial script was working before the change to
> StandAloneBlast.pm was made. I would suppose that any other
> previously-working script which uses any of the exists_blast,
> exists_clustalw  etc methods will also crash after upgrading bioperl-run.

> Moreover the crash will be accompanied by a cryptic message such as the
> one Paul initially received (the messages are coming from the module’s
> AUTOLOADER trying unsuccessfully to interpret the method call).  Anyway
> I think if no clear warning is added for people uisng the exists_blast
> etc methods, there will be a bunch of qustions coming onto the bioperl
> bug and/or query lists.

I'm sorry that is the case but we need to build a general extensible
framework for runnable wrappers which includes a single method one can
call to test for the existance of the executable.  This permits a much
more extensible pipeline system and a unified interface to application
wrappers.  If you have feedback or comments on how to structure these the
base class is Bio::Tools::Run::WrapperBase and we would welcome
contributions.  The Fugu team has been quite actively developing new
wrapper tools in this manner.

I think in fact that no one is helping maintain the scripts and examples
files after Brian O needed to take a hiatus so I'm quite sure there are
things that don't work.  Scripts which run things probably should be
reorganized into the bioperl-run directory as well.

If you would like the old exists_XX functions to be there we can add them
back in for backwards compatability.

--
Jason Stajich
Duke University