[Bioperl-l] question about the nature of bioperl

Brian Osborne brian_osborne@cognia.com
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:12:48 -0400

Nathaniel,

>>but in browsing the hierarchy diagrams and reading the
>>emails, it sounds like a big confused mess that several(?) people are
trying
>>so hard to keep in order but the task is too big.

Hmm. I've been an "observer", and not an architect, in Bioperl for a number
of years and I think your first impression is partially mistaken. You're
correct in thinking that a number of key individuals make design decisions
and have implicitly and explicitly designed Bioperl. Anotherwords, when a
new proposal in comes the feedback comes back on how to integrate the new
code into the framework. And I've been continually impressed with how well
this "collective mind" works, given that Bioperl is a "side project" for
just about everyone who participates.

But "big confused mess" is an unfortunate choice of words. That it works is
sufficient counter-argument. Bugs? Of course! It's a body of work that's in
continual flux, sometimes great flux, as in the Blast parser -> Blast parser
case, sometimes minor. The best way to assess the state of the thing, messy
or not, is to use it, see if it works and if it's flexible and easy to use.
For someone with your technical background I maintain the answers will be
"yes", "yes", and "yes".

Your first question is a good one (by that I mean I asked it myself a while
ago ;-) What is this for and who is this for? It's to get work done, for
people doing real, heavy-duty bioinformatics, but in such a way that the
code fits with existing code and is extensible. This is where the
"collective mind" works, to make sure things fit. Unfortunately the intent
has veered a bit from the inception, when Bioperl was truly simple, but this
was inevitable, the simplicity simply couldn't keep up with the demands of
the work itself.

Brian O.