[Bioperl-l] Re: [Open-bio-l] Fwd: BioSQL mailing list

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:53:28 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> At ISMB we said that we better separate out the biosql discussions
> into a dedicated mailing list (bioperl isn't really low-traffic
> anymore anyway). Thanks to ChrisD, there is now a mailing list
> biosql-l@open-bio.org. Those who are into biosql or interested in
> the discussion or generally like to lurk on lists, may want to
> subscribe, as the the biosql related topics will move to that within
> the next days (probably).
>
> Note that no-one has been auto-subscribed.
>
> Also, I suggest to move bioperl-db related discussions to that list
> as well, as both are quite entwined at this point (there's the
> markerdb in bioperl-db too though). Does that make sense? Or is it
> better to create another list, or is keeping bioperl-db in the
> bioperl-list favored?

Tough call. I suspect you should make a "kernel space/user space
distinction" -

  - when things are just to do with how bioperl-db binds to BioSQL then
that's a "biosql" only topic

  - when things are just about the object model of Bioperl that's a
bioperl topic, but might cross post to biosql as the object design has
consequences on the relational design

  - when things are to with coordination of bioperl and biosql (eg,
branches) then by definition that's a cross post

Cross posting is bad, but so is just-one-big-mailing list. Time for
everyone to get threaded email readers so cross-posting doesn't become a
headache...