[Bioperl-l] question about the nature of bioperl

Chris Mungall cjm@fruitfly.org
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:21:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, nkuipers wrote:

> Thanks for your reply.  I am relatively new to open source development and had
> not considered that bit about "no one praises you".  I started looking into
> bioperl a little while ago, and asked my supervisor why we don't use it.  His
> answer was that using anything from bioperl seems to require lots of other
> things used just so; in other words, it's too intertwined with itself.  And
> indeed, between CPAN modules for parsing etc. and our own code, we do well
> enough, seemingly more simply.  Your points were all well made however, I
> appreciate the insight.  I personally am interested in further exploring
> bioperl.

horses for courses. is your code available - even if it is for solving
particular use cases it could prove useful to others. maybe there should
be a "second circle" of bioperl, a general repository for an ad hoc
collection of unsupported scripts and modules that don't fit into the
central framework?