[Bioperl-l] Re: No joins

Andrew Dalke dalke@dalkescientific.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 10:49:21 -0600

nkuipers:
> I can't take it anymore.  What's a fuzzy?

1) a species in a science fiction series by H. Beam Piper (a
minor author, but one of my favorite) called "The Fuzzy Sapiens".
Besides that series, try "Empire" a short story collection
(I like "The Keeper") and "Federation" (another collection)
("Omnilingual" on discovering a Rosetta stone of sorts to
understand Martian) and ... there's one more neat short story
whose name I've forgotten.  Anyway, read his stuff :)

2) feature locations which are 'imprecise'  For example
  "to the left of position 100"
  "somewhere between positions 30 and 35"
  "somehow related to position 12345"
  "starts between positions 1 and 5 and ends between positions
     900 and 1000"

Suppose you have a sequence and a fuzzy location and are
asked to get the subsequence corresponding to the location,
what do you you do?  Suppose you are asked for a graphical
representation of the fuzzy, what do you do?

Suppose you have a feature which starts "from the left of
position 1000" and extract the subsequence "1 to 100".  Does
that subsequence include the feature?  If so, how is it
represented in form that is biologically useful.

					Andrew