[Bioperl-l] Memory-mapped sequence object

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:49:35 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Bio::DB::Fasta

In that it does a good job doing the lookups on large sequences, but will
suffer just as much as the current implementation when you try and bring a
large sequence all the way into memory -

my $reallylargeseq = $db->seq(CHROMOSOME_I, 1  => 10_000_000);

But a memory mapped seq object would still be a good thing.  If this could
replace the slow Bio::Seq::LargePrimarySeq implementation I'd love to see
it in the toolkit.

-jason