[Bioperl-l] -db and -gui?

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:39:17 -0400 (EDT)

Good point Brian - They are available through the ftp site -
ftp://bioperl.org/pub/DIST
The bioperl-db is going through a transition with the new OBDA/BioSQL
schema being implemented.  I would say it is 90% finished with some more
testing and roundtripping needed at least on the perl end.

It is hard to coordinate the release of associated packages with a bioperl
core release considering the amount of work it takes to just try a release
the core - however I think when the Biosql work is stable and ready
for a release we are going to want to display it prominently.

Chris M and others, do you think we can set a timeframe when you think we
can put a stable release out there for the current version of the schema
(With the ontology tables I assume?).  Would be nice if this could be a
coordinated release with biopython and biojava so we can proclaim all
toolkits supporting the schema but I'm not sure how far that is away?

I would really like to push for all toolkits supporting the biosql schema
before BOSC in August so that we can move the OBDA work along - is that a
reasonable request for everyone?  Perhaps if the devs are having trouble
finding time to work on things they could report where they are and
what needs to get done so other potential volunteers can know where they
can help?  Not sure who the biopython rep is - but I assume Thomas was
still biojava-biosql pointman and Chris M was the bioperl-biosql lead.
Can you guys chime in on where things are and where they need to go for a
stable or alpha release?

-jason