[Bioperl-l] get_Stream_by_acc in DB/GenBank.pm

Mick Watson michaelwatson@paradigm-therapeutics.co.uk
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:04:27 +0100

--------------E864AA9745D0E51214124300

I'm guessing that if I download the bioperl 1.0 GenBank.pm and use it to fix the bug in the 0.7.2 GenBank.pm
then, although hacky, everything will work nicely........ :-)

Thanks!
Mick

Jason Stajich wrote:

> Yes there is a bug in the older (0.7.2) version that was not parsing out
> the <pre> tags properly and only took the last sequence.  In fact this bug
> affects all the GenBank retrieval because the bad logic in the <pre>
> parsing when there are multiple sequences retrieved for a single
> accession.  This is because the Entrez queries are not asking specifically
> for accession or gi (cause you can't do that with their interface). Use
> Bio::DB::EMBL which uses the EBI dbfetch mechanism and is much more
> reliable, but that is only available in 1.0... Hmm that doesn't help you.
>
> You can have a local install of bioperl-1.0 in your dir and just
> point your PERL5LIB to this (or add a use lib '/home/me/bioperl-1.0'
> to the scripts that you want to use bioperl 1.0).   Now if you are doing
> both Ensembl and Bioperl in the same script you're stuck.
>
> -j
>
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, Mick Watson wrote:
>
> > Very quick, simple question....
> >
> > Are there known bugs in &get_Stream_by_acc in DB/GenBank.pm for BioPerl
> > 0.7.2?
> >
> > Only if I use this method with two accession numbers, it tells me it is
> > using this url to fetch the sequences:
> >

> > http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/utils/qmap.cgi?db=n&title=no&form=6&dopt=genbank&uid=BG295424,BI255773
> >
> > This url does indeed fetch the two sequences.  However, from the method
> > call I only get one Bio::Seq object returned, and turning "-verbose" on
> > in GenBank.pm reveals that only one GenBank record is being downloaded!
> >
> > I suspect this is a bug which has been fixed, but i don't want to
> > upgrade Bioperl because I need this version for my local Ensembl to
> > work....
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mick

> Jason Stajich
> Duke University
> jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu

--------------E864AA9745D0E51214124300

I'm guessing that if I download the bioperl 1.0 GenBank.pm and use it to
fix the bug in the 0.7.2 GenBank.pm then, although hacky, everything will
work nicely........ :-)
was not parsing out
fact this bug
specifically