[Bioperl-l] Unigene proposal and basic implementation

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 10:07:23 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 andrew@anatomy.otago.ac.nz wrote:

> Ewan Birney wrote:
>
> >In your modules listed above do they
> >
> >   (a) go into the Bio:: namespace (Bio::Unigene etc?)
>
> Yes.
>
> >   (b) inheriet from Bio::Root::Root.pm?
>
> Yes.
>
> >   (c) use Bioperl conventions of new functions looking like
> >
> >       $uni_io = Bio::UnigeneIO->new( -file => 'somefile');
>
> Yes.

Ok. I think time for a cvs account and you can get to check them in.

Could you describe (before you check them in) a little more detail - terse
is fine, for example

  Bio::Unigene

 methods
      gene_id
      ungene_id
      etc

and

  Bio::UnigeneIO
      next_unigene

or whatever.

BTW - thinking about it, I suspect that we should have the following
abstraction/namespace

   Bio::Seq::ClusterI
      : methods attached to ClusterI which mainly have
      ->seq_ids(); # primary accession of sequences clustered

      ->annotation(); # Bio::Annotation::Collection associated with the
cluster

and I think the name space for unigene is probably best not top level but
instead

   Bio::Seq::Unigene; # inheriets from Bio::Seq::ClusterI

   Bio::Seq::UnigeneIO;

Any other thoughts? Andrew - we should kick this around on the list for 2
or 3 days before you check stuff in. Remember - whoever codes it wins the
argument, so you are in a strong position ;)

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.