[Bioperl-l] Re: [PBS-USERS] openPBS configuration (fwd)

Chris Dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:30:36 -0400

Hi folks-

I've worked quite a bit with LSF, PBS, PBSPro and Sun GridEngine over
the last 2 years or so. Actually most of the paid work (ie non-OpenBio)
work that I've done for the last 12 months has been building large linux
clusters for bioinformatics.

IMHO Platform LSF is by far the best distributed resource management
suite out there. The reason I say this is because it has a far lower day
to day administrative burden and much better resiliancy and fault
tolerance features than any other system out there. In particular the
fault tolerance features of LSF blow all the others away.

It is however, very expensive :) Last time I checked they were still
selling academic licenses for roughly $400 USD per Linux CPU.

At a basic level any of the DRM suites will get the job done (ie remote
execution and batch scheduling facilities). The differences between the
products are mostly due to scaling ability and ease of management.

The cost is still worth it for large production systems where you don't
want to have to hire an additional expensive IT staffer to keep your
batch scheduler from crashing and losing jobs and data every day.

Regarding PBS. I agree with your sentiments regarding the open source
free version of OpenPBS. Unless you are willing to dive into the source
code, apply patches and generally screw around deep in the internals of
the code I don't think that OpenPBS is all that suitable for people
running out of the box. It requires time and expertise that you really
should not have to apply to a basic software layer.

On the plus side I really like and respect the people at Veridian
systems who manage both OpenPBS and PBSPro. The commercial version of
PBS ('PBSPro') seems to be far better than OpenPBS. The pricing is
reasonable, you can get expert consultants and professional services to
help with configuration and tuning issues _and_ they are willing to give
you the source to the Pro product if you needed it.  PBSPro is also free
to academics.

There is an alternative you may want to look at:

Sun GridEngine

Sun GridEngine was formally known as a product called 'codeine'. Sun
bought the product and has committed to making it a key part of their
grid computing efforts. The product is open sourced and available for
free at http://gridengine.sunsource.net

I place GridEngine in the middle of the spectrum between LSF and
OpenPBS. The linux version seems to work quite well for what I've needed
to use it for and it is _rapidly_ improving. I think they will be in a
position to eventually challenge the LSF Base functionality although
Platform is working on lots of advanced stuff that will probably keep
them succesfull.

I wrote up my experiences on installing GridEngine on a 64-CPU cluster
at Steven Brenner's lab. It can be found online at
http://bioteam.net/dag/biocluster-diary-1/

That page is basically the first of what I hope to be many
pseudo-whitepapers that are publicized on the
bioclusters@bioinformatics.org mailing list.

Speaking of that list. This is a good time to advertise it here. If
there is anyone reading this message who is at all interested in
distributed computing for the life sciences then you should really join
in on the "bioclusters" mailing list. You can subscribe online at
http://www.bioinformatics.org/mailman/listinfo/bioclusters

If cluster hardware is a fetish you can see pictures from the recent
comput farm projects I've worked on at:
http://gw.sonsorol.net:8080/gallery/bioclusters

On a side note I've been reading the pipeline discussion threads with
interest and would like to become involved if I can. I was already
thinking about trying to make sure it plays nicely with gridengine :)

Just my $.02

Regards,
Chris

http://bioteam.net