[Bioperl-l] SearchIO , blastn and blastx

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:32:30 -0500 (EST)

This is the expected behavior, blastn reports don't have a frame.  You are
not translating the dna into protein so there is no frame.  blastx (and
fastx) is a nucleotide versus protein db so in that case your query will
have a frame, but your hits will not since they are proteins.  In tblastn
(and tfastn) only the subjects will have a frame since it is a protein
query against a translated nucleotide db, and in tblastx (and tfastx) both
query and hit will have frames.