[Bioperl-l] Re: Permission to use snippets of BioPerl tutorial

Peter Schattner schattner@alum.mit.edu
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:15:56 -0700

YachnaST@NIIT.com wrote:

>      Hi,
>      We are creating a Web-based course on Bioinformatics. To
>      illustrate the advantages of  BioPerl package, we would like
>      permission to use some code snippets from the BioPerl tutorial
>      which we have downloaded from
>      http://bio.perl.org/Core/POD/bptutorial.html site.
>
>      We would acknowledge your name and the site in the course. We
>      would be highly obliged if you could grant us permission for the
>      same.

It is fine with me, if you use code snippets from the Bioperl tutorial
in your web-based course.

I am also forwarding your request to the official bioperl mailing list
to detemine whether the perl license (which is also used by bioperl)
places any restrictions on use of bioperl code in a
presumably-commercial course.  I don't think there is such a limitation,
but I must admit to being pretty ignorant when it comes to the details
of all the different open-source licenses out there.

Peter