[Bioperl-l] New Annotation interfaces! Mark/David/whoever - check it out!

Mark Wilkinson mwilkinson@gene.pbi.nrc.ca
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:28:14 -0600

Ewan Birney wrote:

> Well - two hours of British Rail has its benefits.

but not many...

>   - put in Controlled Vocab somehow - need to talk to the GO folks
> to check I do it right

I'll be interested in how you do this... are you planning to retrieve the vocab from
a server into the object (i.e. enforce a vocab)?  If so, you might convince Chris to
commit his GO perl-api into BioPerl!  ...hint hint Chris!!

> - deal/decide with updates as I am sure GenQuire will want to write
> back here (right guys??)

absolutely.  Speaking of which, Dave (may he rest in Novartis peace) and I will be
committing Genquire to the Bioinformatics.org public CVS as a **TRUE** open-source
project within a couple of days!  Just one more JohnHenry and it will finally be
commercial-license-free!!  It's still a bit broken since there were some other
priorities prior to Dave's move to California, but it is almost fully functional
again with a new-and-improved database schema and a plugins API!  It still has a
flat cartoony feature display though... which isn't very 'cool'...   ;-)

w.r.t. the annotation objects - I'm sorry I never got back to coding them.  Between
Genquire and my attempts to put the word "Professor" in front of my name I never got
back to it again after my initial burst of enthusiasm.  Still, It looks like you
have built a pretty solid foundation.  I can't imagine anything that can't be
derived from these... looks great!  As soon as my job-hunting settles down I will
get on and make Genquire compatable.

Let's hear it for B.R.!

"Speed is subsittute fo accurancy."

Dr. Mark Wilkinson