[Bioperl-l] Need Help: 0.7.2 and 0.9.1 tests and preparations

Jason Eric Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:15:02 -0500 (EST)

I've put 0.7.2 candidate in
ftp://bioperl.org/pub/jason/bioperl-0.7.2-candidate.tar.gz

Please download and test and help be part of the Bioperl development
process.  We need all platforms and environments tested although we should
hope to see no surprises from the 0.7.1 release.  Please note that we now
require perl >= 5.005.  We'll release and push to CPAN if all looks good.
Note this is different that the file in
ftp://bioperl.org/pub/DIST/bioperl-0.7.2.tar.gz (see footnote [1] for
reasons why) which is really not the 0.7.2 release.

The 0.7.2 is a release from the 0.7 stable branch and so does not have
some of the functionality of the 0.9.x series (development head).  We will
plan to release another developer's release in the next few weeks which
will contain many new additions including Lincoln's GFF db, blastxml
parser, some improvements to BPlite & Variation modules, and
dna/rna->protein translation in 6 frames.

For those interested in helping with the 0.9.1 release please checkout the
latest version from the head and run the tests.  Currently we have
the following tests breaking so no need to report them.

Tempfile.t -- due to some changes in RootI, Ewan and I are sorting out
seqwithqual.t -- due to changes on my part, but I think I need Chad's help
                 to fix them back (if you're not completely pissed at me
                 for breaking things)
primaryqual.t -- ditto
csmscf.t      -- ditto

Yours,
-jason

[1] (geeky developer CVS talk here)
It should be noted that due to an error on my part in the 0.7.1 release
there is already a release-0-7-2 tag on the repository - this is
essentially the same as the release-0-7-1 tag except for the MANIFEST and
Bio::SeqIO::genbank.  I plan to either nuke the 0-7-2 tag and readd it
when we tag this release or tag it as 0-7-2-1.  However I plan to call
this the 0.7.2 release to avoid any further confusion (if I haven't
already created it by mentioning all this).  I did push out a 0.7.2
tarball immedietly after the 0.7.1 error thinking we would use it to
replace the CPAN submission, but have thought better otherwise.  Thie
release will replace that file since it is identical to the corrected
0.7.1 tarball.  If you have better ideas I am all ears.

--
Jason Stajich
Duke University