[Bioperl-l] Blast reports and XML

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu@mayo.edu
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:53:46 -0500

I had a query about using xml/xsl/xslt to get interesting bits from blast
output.  I have stylesheets to get info from the blast reports, and I am
using them with Biojava.  GCG and ncbi/standalone blast output XML is the
same (so it appears anyway).  With XSL stylesheets, since I can't make up my
mind, I can use both Perl and java (though the Perl XSLT support I haven't
really tried, seems new from the documentation), and decide later if I like
java or Perl better.  The two different blast modules for bioperl are very
good, and I wouldn't imagine replacing them, this is just another method for
doing the same thing.  I liked that I could use  standaloneblast in Perl,
and then use any sort of xml processing I wanted.

What are other opinions on this?