[Bioperl-l] How to check mRNA moltype?

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:30:28 +0100

I checked this from Guenter Stoesser, the EMBL Database Coordinator:

There really should be not U residues in entries, ever. The sequence is
always in DNA alphabet. RNA source molecule is indicated by 'RNA' in the ID
line. Thus, moltype() should return 'dna', which it does not at the moment.

Also, the sequence database collaboration has recently stressed that
sequenced_mol qualifier should always be used:

FT   source          1..539
FT                   /db_xref="taxon:3702"
FT                   /sequenced_mol="cDNA to mRNA"
FT                   /organism="Arabidopsis thaliana"

Which means that it is not necessarily used by older entries.

	-Heikki