[Bioperl-l] Help using bioperl-db

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:18:15 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, gert thijs wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed bioperl-db and created a mysql database, called 'SeqDB', to
> store my DNA sequences and later extract them.
> Next, I have created the tables as explained in the README file:
>  mysql -h bowmore -u thijs -p SeqDB < sql/basicseqdb-mysql.sql
> This works fine and all tables are created.

great!

> Now, I am looking at the program 'script/load_seqdatabase.pl' to store a set
> of sequences in GenBank format into the database. But I have some trouble
> understanding the usage of a few variables. So I have some questions. First,
> what is the purpose of $sqlname and $dbname and what is the difference between
> them? Second, this is related to the first one: what is t he purpose of
> $dbid =
> $dbadaptor->get_BioDatabaseAdaptor->fetch_by_name_store_if_needed($dbname);

sqlname is the (mysql) database name for the whole collection of databases

Inside the *same* mysql database name you can store *mutliple* biological
"databases" (such as GenBank or Swissprot or Whatever). Of course you
could provide the rule that sqlname == dbname for your set, but it is easy
to imagine people who want to put multiple biological databases into one
sql database

hence the difference.