[Bioperl-l] SeqFetcherI (fwd)

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 21 May 2001 16:51:57 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Lincoln Stein wrote:

> Can't one have a Bio::DB::RandomAccessI connected to a meta database
> that accepts compound accessions and then dispatches to the correct
> database?  Or is "gb|A12345" just too ugly for words?

<<Ewan winces>>

I guess this ok ... the old "lets put *everything* into the
identifier" does actually have some advantages.

(it is at least more justifiable than "lets put an entire database schema
in the fasta file description line". We've all been there...)

As usual in bioperl, he who codes it - wins the argument so if you want to
put in a Bio::DB::Meta object which can register databases and perhaps
fall back onto "well known" web databases when there are none and guess
the syntax of identifiers being thrown at it...

... you are a better man than I am gungadin!

e.