[Bioperl-l] SVG rendering

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Fri, 18 May 2001 14:53:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Malay wrote:

> Hi Heikki:
>
> > Why do not put your modules into BioPerl? We could help with
> > complexities of Bioperl better that way. Bio::Graphics::SGV or
> > something similar would be appropriate for the library modules and if
> > you want to share the applications there is directory structure for
> > that in BioPerl, too.
>
> I am right now struggling to give the modules the support for both print
> (aka GFF2PS) as well as web support. Web support is easy but print support
> is becoming a behemoth. Out of the main discussion topic, I think Bioperl
> really lacks in the area of graphics, when Perl wrappers are available
> around Opengl/Mesa. I know portability will be an issue here but some
> support rather than nothing is always preferable.
>
> But I may be wrong here. I've just started exploring Bioperl and have not
> really got my hands dirty in CVS. May be someone out there is working on
> nice bioperl GUI/widget projects.

We do have a GUI (CVS checkout bioperl-gui) project which is for sequence
rendering in perl/tk through the excellent work of David Block and Mark
Wilkinson. There is also sequence rendering ofBio::SeqFeatureI on a line
through DAS:: client code which is part of biodas (http://biodas.org) that
Lincoln Stein is working on.  We would LOVE to have more sequence viewers,
either interactive or just picture generating.

I like GFF2PS and considered a perl port of it, instead I think Lincoln's
GD adaptation of sequence rendering with annotation tracks seems like a
good way to draw. Not sure where you want to jump in, but we'd certainly
enjoy having help and/or ideas to push bioperl towards solving more
people's needs.