[Bioperl-l] Help with error handling (unable to load sequence in Bio::SeqIO)

Hilmar Lapp lapp@gnf.org
Thu, 10 May 2001 10:42:39 -0700

"Tomso.Daniel" wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> This is my first post to the list!
>
> I've got a perl program that is retrieving and processing a list of
> GenBank sequences.  It is retrieving by accession.
>
> The problem is that some of the sequences seem to have errors that
> Bio::Seq doesn't like.  The basic process is this:
>
> retrieve seq
> store as local file
>
> and later . . .
>
> open file
> read a seq with next_seq()
>
> I presume the crash occurs at this point, as the file seems to
> retrieve properly.  Furthermore, the overall code is good, since the
> error is only associated with a few sequences (most process fine).
>
> The error message that is generated is this:
>
> ------------------- WARNING ---------------------
> MSG: unable to parse location successfully out of
> complement(join(complement(204
> 79..20643), ignoring feature (seqid=AL136324)
> Can't call method "location" on an undefined value at
> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5
> .6.0/Bio/SeqIO/FTHelper.pm line 136, <GEN55> line 161.

That's a known bug that's already been fixed. I assume you're running
Bioperl 0.7, not the development trunk.

It points again to the urgent need for a point release ... The only
problem is that at present I don't even have time to answer all emails
I should answer ... Well, I'll try to get a release out of the door
next week. If you don't want to wait, you can download from the
anonymous CVS server. Specify -r branch-07 to cvs checkout in order to
get the latest stable branch, but you can also try the main trunk (the
bug you encountered should be fixed in both).

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp@gnf.org