[Bioperl-l] Caching BioCorba server implemented with bioperl-db

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 7 May 2001 12:10:21 +0100 (BST)

On Sun, 6 May 2001, Hilmar Lapp wrote:

> Ewan Birney wrote:
> >
> > However: this is both a proof-of-concept and also useful in mid-LAN
> > size with no easy file sharing (NFS) scenarios (like... say... the
> > EBI/Sanger network)- one of the beauties of a system like this is to
> > have only one server where updates/changes occur and cach'ing servers
> > around it: the caching servers will move the load away from the
> > central server and also provide resilence of the system to server
> > failure.
>
> Does this mean the cache becomes invalidated if the corresponding
> sequence gets updated in the central root server? I.e., does the
> caching server double-check for each request that its current copy
> is recent?

This can be easily worked in (we had a simialr - now defunct - scheme
inside Ensembl). However I think most use-cases would involved a single
sweep around all the cache servers to invalidate the cache.

...I'll work it in today...

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.