[Bioperl-l] Bioperl-0.7 installation on Windows 2000

Douda Bensasson douda@stanford.edu
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:03:13 -0800

--=====================_82131859==_.ALT

Hello, thank you for all the work on bioperl
i managed to install bioperl using the general instructions, Jurgen
Pletickx's installation instructions from
http://bioperl.org/Core/windows-bioperl.html, and the discussion on it from
this mail group.
I am someone who had never used "make" successfully before, i've never
knowingly compiled anything, and have not knowingly installed any kind of
compiler onto my machine, i'm new to Perl (which i have succesfully
installed using ActivePerl and now used). that i managed to use the
instructions successfully is a credit to them.

but i just thought it might be helpful if i mentioned what i had most
trouble with:
I couldn't find a website when i clicked on the link in Jurgen Pletickx's
instructions:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN- US/Nmake15.exe
but did get it from
http://download.microsoft.com/download/vc15/Patch/1.52/W95/EN-US/Nmake15.exe
probably i should have noticed the underline and space in the address, but
i just thought i'd mention it
i did try to use dmake-4.1pl1-win32 before i realised the web address
problem and found Nmake, and it didn't work.

also it took me a while to realise i had to download the Makefile.PL file
separately from the http://bio.perl.org/Core/Latest/ website. Should the
Makefile.PL have automatically downloaded when the other core components of
bioperl and the manuals did?

thanks
Douda

Douda Bensasson
Department of Biological Sciences
371 Serra Mall
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305-5020
e-mail: douda@stanford.edu

--=====================_82131859==_.ALT

Hello, thank you for all the work on bioperl <br>
i managed to install bioperl using the general instructions, Jurgen
Pletickx's installation instructions from
and the discussion on it from this mail group.<br>
I am someone who had never used &quot;make&quot; successfully before,
i've never knowingly compiled anything, and have not knowingly installed
any kind of compiler onto my machine, i'm new to Perl (which i have
succesfully installed using ActivePerl and now used). that i managed to
use the instructions successfully is a credit to them. <br>
but i just thought it might be helpful if i mentioned what i had most
trouble with:<br>
I couldn't find a website when i clicked on the link in Jurgen Pletickx's
instructions:
but did get it from<br>
probably i should have noticed the underline and space in the address, but i just thought i'd mention it<br>
i did try to use dmake-4.1pl1-win32 before i realised the web address problem and found Nmake, and it didn't work.<br>
thanks<br>
Douda<br>
Douda Bensasson<br>
Department of Biological Sciences<br>