[Bioperl-l] happy bioperl ;)

Hilmar Lapp lapp@gnf.org
Thu, 01 Mar 2001 15:23:08 -0800

Jason Stajich wrote:

> All tests for me pass on multiple architectures.  I suspect there may be
> some Index.t and Tempfile bugs still lurking, but I leave it up to Hilmar
> on whether or not they will get fixed for this release or if they'll come
> out in the soon-to-follow point release.  I'd like to get back to the
> mantra of "release early, release often" which can provide some quick
> turnaround to major issues.

Release early, but not premature. I'd like to be able to keep the
proud feeling for a few days before the blame floods in ;)

There may issues lurking with Index.t and tempfile, but these are
platform specific. If something's going to stop me from branching
tonight, it has to be either a showstopper report on Unix, or my
inability to figure out how to branch off in cvs.

Putting together the CHANGES may also cost me some time, I'll have to
check what Ewan already added (ideally everything :-).

Your mantra is BTW also the reason that I'm not going to further
extend the SeqFeature::Gene::* interfaces with respect to regulatory
elements for the 0.7 release, contrary to what I initially intended.
This needs both more experience and discussion of real code. So, I'll
just mark the promoter() methods as experimental and possible to
change. I'm just mentioning this here so that people don't think I've
simply forgotten it.

> All tests pass on:
>  x86 FreeBSD4.2 perl 5.005_03, Alpha linux perl 5.005_03, Sparc Solaris
>  2.7/2.8 perl 5.6.0, x86 linux perl 5.005_03.   WinNT activestate 5.6.0.
>
> We need to make sure MANIFEST file is up to date (I think we can
> regenerate with a simple find command), and that all mailing list info is
> up to date.

Yeah, interesting that the old one still pop up. I thought some time
ago someone went over this with a search/replace.

> As for biocorba:
>
> There are some stubborn BioCORBA issues that I am tracking down.
> BioCORBA could branch in a week or just fix the bugs in a point release
> because I honestly think it is a ORBit bug.

It might be nice if we could indeed do a sync'ed release, and
cross-reference the other packages in the release notes. It's up to
you how good you feel with a point release, but I don't see why it's
bad.

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp@gnf.org