[Bioperl-l] question about Bio::DB::GenBank

Bob Mangold bob@mangold.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 10:04:59 -0700 (PDT)

I'm farily new to using bioperl, so maybe I'm missing something. I've been
succesfully using the Genbank tools to fetch data, but all of a sudden it won't
work. It appears that complete genome files in GenBank often contain a contig
of other files as opposed to the entire sequence (for example see AE004439).
Maybe I'm worng but it appears that Bio::DB::GenBank can't deal with this.

Can someone confirm this and maybe point me to a work around.

Here is my code:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use Bio::DB::GenBank;
$gb = new Bio::DB::GenBank();
my($id) = "AE004439";
$seq = $gb->get_Seq_by_id($id);
print $seq->seq ."\n";

The result is:

Can't call method "_generic_seqfeature" on an undefined value at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0/Bio/SeqIO/genbank.pm line 272.

-Bob Mangold