[Bioperl-l] RetrictionEnzyme.pm: a proposal

Paul-Christophe Varoutas paul-christophe.varoutas@curie.fr
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:28:02 +0100

Yesterday I studied RestrictionEnzyme.pm more in depth. I haven't yet added
the methods I wanted to, because in my opinion it is far more urgent for
this module to get some redesigning.

The module somewhat suffers of poor design, and just adding methods to it
will just worsen the situation.

RestrictionEnzyme has methods which are proper to the restriction enzymes:
  - seq() is the accessor method to the enzyme's recognition sequence.
  - cut_seq() "cuts" a Bio::Seq-derived object and generates an array of
restriction site fragments.
  - cuts_seq_at() does the same but this time generates an array of
restriction site coordinates.

and methods which are proper to the list of enzymes:
  - is_available() says if a particular enzyme is in the list.
  - available_list() gives the list of all enzymes or list of n-base cutters.

Steve Chervitz already suggested in the module's documentation that
is_available() "may be more appropriate for a REData.pm class", and I share
his opinion. From a conceptual point of view, the existing
RestrictionEnzyme.pm module corresponds to two object classes, not one.

Here is an outline of my proposal:

Separate RestrictionEnzyme in two classes:

RestrictionEnzymeDBase (or whatever more appropriate):
  - members: the list of restriction enzymes.
  - methods:
       - constructor using hardwired list of enzymes OR user file OR URL.
       - add/remove enzyme to/from list (adding will be the equivalent of
_make_custom() ).
       - member accessor methods: already existing methods: is_available(),
available_list().

RestrictionEnzyme:
   - members: the same as now (_name, _seq, _site, _cuts_after).
   - methods:
       - constructor (equivalent to the constructor calling the
_make_standard() sub).
       - already existing accessor methods.
       - already existing methods: cut_seq, cuts_seq_at, etc.

This design, apart from being more "correct", will facilitate any future
extensions of the two modules. The drawback in separating RestrictionEnzyme
in two classes is that all code using RestrictionEnzyme.pm will have to be
modified.

Perhaps we should take advantage of the imminent release of the 0.7 version
and decide to proceed in the redesigning. If we change the design this will
also be the opportunity to slightly change/extend its public interface to
add small new functionalities such as being able to add and use asymmetric
cutters and enzymes which cut outside the recognition site (perhaps just
incorporating small changes now in order to be in time for the 0.7 release
and leaving extensions for afterwards, especially if I do this alone based
on what we decide).

Tell me what you think about it:
- First of all, is redesigning possible or are we obliged to maintain
compatibility ? In the latter case I will just add functionality,
maintaining the poor design of the module.
- If redesigning is possible, please make comments/suggestions.

Paul-Christophe