[Bioperl-l] Bio::PrimarySeqI::GCG_checksum

Hilmar Lapp hilmarl@yahoo.com
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:24:31 -0800

Ewan Birney wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>
> > Is the interface really a good place for such a method, or shall
> > we better move it to an implementation (Bio::PrimarySeq for
> > instance). Apart from that, is it still up-to-date?
>
> trouble about moving it to the implementation is then either
>
> (a) only bioperl implementation can be GCG dumped or

Well, if it's really only about GCG dumping (that's what I was
afraid of), then why not move it to the GCG SeqIO module.
PrimarySeqI interface is then certainly the wrong place for it.

> (b) all implementations have to implement this

A checksum needed for a particular format should be implemented by
the format, not the sequence. At least IMHO.

Any objections to moving it to SeqIO::gcg.pm?

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                              email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                phone: +1 858 812 1757