[Bioperl-l] BioPerl (and Java, etc?) at OScon

Chris Dagdigian dagdigian@Computefarm.com
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:42:34 -0500 (EST)

Nathan,

First of all great book!

I was just about to volunteer my efforts when I realized that I should
double check the dates. It turns out that the ORA Open Source Conference
is July 23-27 in San Diego. This happens to conflict with one of the
largest bioinformatics meetings around. The conference is called ISMB
(http://ismb01.cbs.dtu.dk/) and is happening in Denmark on July 21-25.

Many bioinformatics folks (academic/government/commercial) from all over
the world will be going to ISMB.

The other bad news is that some of us are putting together some side
meetings at ISMB that will be happening July 19-20. The meetings
are BOSC (Bioinformatics Open Source Conference) and BioPathways.org. I'm
one of the people helping put the BOSC/Biopathways meeting together.

So- in general there are probably tons of people on our various lists who
would love to participate in one of the ORA or Perl conferences but due to
some calendar conflicts a decent percentage of us will not be able to
attend/participate. That said there will be a good number of people who
are not heading to Denmark in July.

The BOSC/Biopathways meetings have not been formally announced
yet. Perhaps in our 'official' announcement we can help get the word out
regarding the Open Source meeting and encourage non-ISMB attendees to
check it out.

Regards,
Chris