[Bioperl-l] New code

Chris Mungall cjm@fruitfly.bdgp.berkeley.edu
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 20:36:26 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Ewan Birney wrote:

> For the newbies - I will be writting a Bio::Perl module which will give
> function orientated access to basic bioperl objects to ease the learning
> curve.

Hi Ewan

I'd be interested in helping out with this one. I think the module should
offer function oriented access to objects as well as function oriented
access to strings to get a lot of useful stuff without objects

eg

use Bio qw(:all);
@hits = get_blast_hits("myblast.out");
print "hits=@hits\n";

use Bio qw(:all);
print translate("ATG......");

Coupled with a bioperl shell type utility, maybe some basic Tk, this coul
be  a very useful tool for beinners and experts alike

inside the gadfly shell utility i have a few shortcut commands for
interactively slurping in any bp compliant format which turns out to be
very useful.

let me know more on your plans for this one & i'll gladly contribute to
this

cheers,
chris