[Bioperl-l] installing bioperl on Windows 2000 (help)

Jonathan Epstein Jonathan_Epstein@nih.gov
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 17:05:55 -0500

Bill,

A groups.google.com search with "NMAKE: fatal error U1045: spawn failed invalid argument" will give you much of your answer.  They reference using Visual Studio's Vcvars32.bat to setup environment variables correctly.  Now I have no idea whether this will work with W2K ... I use W2K but didn't use this batch script.

Getting this kind of stuff to work is usually a question of setting the PATH, INCLUDE and LIB environment variables to appropriate values.  BioPerl compiles fine for me on W2K.  Here are the relevant settings for me.  Obviously there's lots of junk in my PATH that you don't need:

LIB
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\mfc\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\lib

INCLUDE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\atl\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\mfc\include;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\include

System PATH
C:\ActivePerl\bin\;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adaptec Shared\System;c:\matlab6p1\bin\win32;c:\Program Files\Python;c:\cygwin\bin;C:\Program Files\PBV Kit\gnuserv;c:\users\Epstein\bin;c:\Program Files\Tcl\bin

Local PATH

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\WinNT;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\bin

Good luck,

-Jonathan