[Bioperl-l] Backward compatibility mode for Bio::Root::RootI

gert thijs gert.thijs@esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 12:03:27 +0100

I have a question concerning the installation of the modules which use this
new Bio::Root::Root object.
Well, I have done a 'make clean; cvs update -dP' in my bioperl-live dir and
then I have done a 'make' and 'make test'. Almost every test passes (except
something about connecting to GenBank), which is good. So in the scripts I am
writing now, I insert a 'use lib' statement  that refers to
'bioperl-live/blib/lib' to use the Bio::Root::Root object.
However, I would like to refer to the installed modules, when distributing
these scripts. But, given that I just recently installed the 0.7.2 release of
bioperl and the old scripts are running smoothly, how reasonable is it to do a
'make install' from the bioperl-live dir?

Gert Thijs

Ewan Birney wrote:

> I basically like the split of Bio::Root::RootI interface away
> from implementation, but it does give us a backward compatibility
> problem.
>
> Some (external) modules written using Bioperl - in particular large tracks
> of Ensembl (say - 50 modules) - now break as they assumme that
> Bio::Root::RootI new works.
>
> There is alot of active ensembl's out there with the current code base,
> and we are not going to be able to change these code bases (they are off
> the stable branch of ensembl) by Janurary.
>
> What I would like to do is reintroduce a new function to RootI (blesses an
> anonymous hash) with a strong "deprecated" warning being thrown.
>
> Jason/Lincoln/anyone else - do you think this ok?
>
> ewan

+ Gert Thijs
+
+ email: gert.thijs@esat.kuleuven.ac.be