[Bioperl-l] Re: [Biojava-l] about AGAVE

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 18:44:16 +0100 (BST)

Hanning -

thanks for the tools. Some comments -

(a) would you guys like to check this in directly with bioperl or do you
want to keep it a separate download?

(b) traditionally in the bioperl SeqIO system one is transforming a set of
sequences to a set of sequences. the agave write_seq is focused on
building a file per sequence inside the agave.pm module in the current
working directory

(eg, the line)

 my $output = new IO::File(">" . $self->{'file'} . '.' . $seq->display_id
. '.dtx');

which is pretty un-bioperl SeqIO.

Can you not concatonate agave documents? In which case, should perhaps
agave be extended to allow concatonation?

(if not, guys - I guess this is like write_seq on the GCG module. What
should we do here?)

(c) DBLinks. This line is a little messy as well -

  if( $annotation->each_DBLink ){
      my $dblink = ($annotation->each_DBLink) [0] ;

I would have thought you would have wanted to loop through the DBLinks

(which you do in the db_id line for the DBlinks on xrefs. Hmmmmm. I guess
I am getting confused here)

Anyway - many thanks for the tool.

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.